Green smoothies are great, but I want to get more kale in because I've heard it's such a good superfood. It's a little harder to make it taste good though. Do you have any good recipes for kale smoothies?
When making green smoothies, there are many ingredient options that are easy, â€œflavorlessâ€ green inclusions: fresh spinach, wheatgrass powder, and small amounts of spirulina, to name a few.Unfortunately, while an incredible superfood, kale is not exactly one of these â€œflavorlessâ€ inclusions - when used in excess, raw kale produces a sharp, grassy flavor that can quickly overwhelm a blend. Yet because it provides a more dominant flavor, that's not to say there aren't ways to incorporate kale while effectively hiding its taste. Here are a few of our favorite flavor combinations that keep the kale comin'.
5 Delicious Kale Smoothies
- Apple Kale: Kale + Pear + Apple Juice
- Chocolate Kale: Kale + Cacao Powder + Almond Butter + Banana + Cacao Nibs
- Banana Kale: Kale + Frozen Banana + Vanilla + Almond Milk
- Green Kale: Kale + Cucumber + Apple Juice + Lemon + Wheatgrass Powder
- Tropical Kale: Kale + Pineapple + Orange + Almond Milk
For a little inspiration, check out our vibrant Earth Day Smoothie, which is a delicious variation of the Tropical Kale blend!
Have a superfood smoothie question of your own? Ask away! Just post it below and we may feature it in an upcoming segment of Ask The Chef.